Main menu


A Cleveland police officer was admonished for drawing a gun and punching two partygoers in an off-duty incident

featured image

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland police officers accused of raiding a Lakewood party while off duty, pointing guns at attendees and punching two people, including a 15-year-old, in the face should face serious punishment A Cleveland Citizens Police Review Board hearing was concluded on Tuesday.

Michael Glick, a 12-year patrol officer in the police department’s District 4, was accused of using excessive force, violating after-hours policies, and displaying unprofessional behavior at a July 4 rally last year. has violated administrative compliance regulations, the board ruled.

The decision as to whether and how to discipline Glick now rests with the police. Decisions made by Chief Wayne Drummond or Chief of Public Safety Carrie Howard may later be overturned by a review board.

A charge of excessive force is automatically considered under the police’s strictest disciplinary guidelines and can range from a 10-day suspension to dismissal.

“We spend the day in front of the chief,” said Detective Jeff Vollmer, president of the union representing patrol officers and detectives.

The fracas in question began peacefully during an evening fireworks show in Lakewood, which Glick, 45, attended with his girlfriend. He was off duty and not wearing a uniform. During the celebration, another set of unauthorized fireworks erupted nearby, forming a large cloud of black smoke.

According to eyewitnesses, Glick told those around him, “Don’t worry, I’ll handle it.” Then he strode along a dark railroad track to the house of David Adkins, a 39-year-old building supply manager who was hosting a party a block away.

As Glick recounted the incident, fireworks flew over Adkins’ fence and nearly hit him as he approached the house. Adkins claims that no fireworks were allowed on his property that night, and that the unauthorized explosion took place well east of his house.

Anyway, Glick walked down the driveway and confronted a woman who came out of the fence with a plate of food.

“I walked through the gate and all of a sudden this guy had a badge on my face and was twirling it around and pushing his body against me,” Megan Shoff told and The Plain Dealer. When Glick pushed her against the fence, “He’s yelling, ‘Police, police!’ I’m like, what are you doing?”

Adkins’ sister-in-law, Schoff, who was 35 at the time, stared at Glick’s badge that read Cleveland instead of Lakewood, further confusing her.

The confrontation escalated and Shov’s 15-year-old son showed up to defend her. Things got physical, and according to Schoff, Glick punched the teenager in the face.

A crowd soon formed and Adkins rushed in. Before he knew it, he says, Glick punched him in the eye.

“I never got a chance to say a word,” Adkins told and The Plain Dealer.

The punch sent Adkins into shock. With the adrenaline pumping, Adkins made an aggressive move towards Glick as others struggled to hold him back.

That’s when Glick pulled out an off-duty gun and swung it away, Adkins said.

“I said, you beat a minor, beat me, and got a gun? On what?” Adkins recalled.

The crowd grew louder and hotter, taunting Glick who was forced to retreat down the block. “My shirt was torn,” a witness recalled.

Meanwhile, a Lakewood Police detachment called about a fight that officers reported said “involving guns and police badges.” I had a gun and hit a minor,” I heard him shout.

When officers arrived, they handcuffed Adkins, Schoff, and a 15-year-old boy, all enraged, and forced them into their vehicle. Each was given a citation for disorderly conduct. During her detention, Shofu’s bikini top was ripped off and she was humiliated in front of her family, she said.

When officers questioned Glick, who wore a badge around his neck, he denied pulling out a gun or assaulting anyone, and claimed it was an altercation.

However, officers noticed that Adkins had a red mark near his eye and was swollen during a follow-up interview the next day.

Noting that Glick wore a baggy shirt and hid his gun, one officer also said, “Unless the firearm was on display in some way, how could the people of Warren Road know that Glick was armed?” I don’t know if they knew how.”

Glick was charged with trespassing. He later made no objections. A judge found him guilty and ordered him to pay a $200 fine.

Glick also filed a complaint with Lakewood Police a few days after the incident, claiming a member of the crowd intentionally damaged the Jeep with a key.

Schoff and Adkins blamed not only Glick, but also the Lakewood Police Department, questioning why they were ordered to pay a disorderly conduct fine.

“We were watching fireworks at a party and minding our own business, but Glick was treated as if we attacked him,” Schoff said. She sarcastically stated that her freedom was taken from her on the night Americans celebrate their freedom.

Following Tuesday’s disciplinary advisory, Schoff said he was happy with the outcome.

However, the experience eroded her trust in law enforcement. She said, “I have always supported the police and thought abuse was often exaggerated. But this changed my perspective.”

“We need to stop the police thinking they are cowboys,” Adkins added. “They wear badges to protect and serve, not to abuse.”

The jury seemed to agree. “All this [Glick] It’s essentially escalating the situation,” said Vice-President David Gatien.

Another scenario could have escalated the situation further. Adkins, who has a secret carrying permit, wondered what would have happened if he had been armed that night.

“What if I pull out my gun when I see his gun coming out?” he said. “It could have been a mess.”